Had our septic system inspection done for building the new house, the system failed. So we had to get a perc test done to see if we could get a new septic system. We do qualify for a sand mound septic system, at this time we are in the design stage. Things were looking pretty bad for awhile. We were told we’d possibly have to get holding tanks or a small stream discharge system, both very expensive in the end. The small stream discharge system also needs state DEP approval which can take a year or more. It also requires more inspections, paper work needs to be submitted regularly, chemical treatment of discharge, and regular testing of what’s being discharged.
So I got an IBC to hold the water for the perc test.
Took about 15 hours to fill from the well.
Now to the rainwater harvesting part.
After the perc test was finished, moved the IBC up to the pole barn. This is where the first version of the system is going to be set up. Version one is mainly for testing and is also used to clean equipment. Ordered from Amazon (couldn’t find anything local) –
Everything else, I got at Lowe’s.
This rain filled the IBC with excess going out overflow pipe.
System worked very well. Since the tank was full, I decided to wash the mower.
Future versions will include bigger tanks, bigger collection area, and more uses.